I started off on this project as a complete beginner in all of Autodesk's programs. Maya? That's a name. Unity? I'm all for a united effort! Fusion 360? Guess we're fusing 360 different things together. However, just after the first day of work, I was well on the way to becoming a super model-er using Maya and the design team was whipping out some realistic models of ladders, teleporters, and robots. I tried my hand in scripting in Unity for the first time with the help of Middleman Arun and GUI master Kiana. CAD Team has accomplished some amazing models with detailed levers and pulleys!
We will take a reflective look back on our 4 week journey on making our very first official video game. We've survived the persistent bugs, unresponsive scripts, stubborn models, and uncooperative programs to create a fully textured game and emerged stronger than ever. This post will be photo-heavy with all our goofy moments revealed along with our final tasks finished today to cap off this awesome journey!
On a serious note, here is a brief summary of what each team focused on to make the game what it is today.
Our GUI master Kiana and CAD guru Violet have tackled various types of models to bring quality videos and interfaces for students to enjoy their process in learning CAD. Their main jobs focused on first deciding and making models that were broken down into videos to teach players how to make them. The struggle all started with a little program called CamStudio. Between the unresponsive programs and humongous file sizes, it has not been easy for Violet to successfully finish all the videos. Applause to her for a wonderful job *clap clap*. Our GUI master has spent hours in making an awesome interface that is aesthetically appealing and user-friendly for students. Kiana has delivered on all points. The amazing tutorial layouts and nifty methods in controlling all scripts would not have been possible without Kiana's work!
Violet has finished her day with an end credit scene that closes off our game and thanks all of the individuals we were introduced to and the many people who helped us in making this game a possibility. Kiana had spent the day refining and fixing conflicts within the GUI code so that it is compatible with out final combined game and resolves all issues. And of course, with the hard work comes time for some rest and breaks in work.
The start of the day was not a pleasant one with multiple conflicts in importing models and incorporating audio files into each Level, but in the end, all is well with design team completing strong and steady! Throughout the four weeks, we have completed dozens of models that are decorated throughout all three levels of the game. Both Ashley and I have modeled everything in Maya and made it as realistic as possible to give the game a futuristic and apocalyptic world. Along with designing models, Ashley has done an amazing job in creating detailed models of our male and female characters using Mixamo! With safety goggles and safety gloves, our players are ready to roll in the run down factory. I have worked on designing the models and designing Levels 2 and 3 of the game. From planning out the layout of both levels to deciding how to place all pieces to be found and animations for entrances, Maya and Unity have become familiar programs over the 4 weeks. Finally, Ashley and I have both tried our hands at texturing all levels, with Ashley tackling the textures in Level 1 and me texturing objects in Level 2.
I ended today in a relief as the audio script that Kiana and I worked on was able to integrate relatively smoothly into the central scripts and run the audio recordings I made to make reading the text easier. Testing the recordings was a whole other story. Even after hearing my voice for more than 20 times, it still remains a weird experience hearing your own voice in a formal and "mother-like" tone.
Ashley has finished in importing the scooter into Unity which was essential to the game. With hours of frustration over the missing import even in a supported Unity file format and scouring the interwebs (haha) for a way to convert the model to a different format, she succeeded in transferring the model into our game and ensuring a complete game in the end. Three cheers for Design Team!
Unity Master Arun has been the most professional member of all of us and the one who has brought everything together. Our game would not be half as good as it is today if it wasn't for Arun's impressive script which spans much longer than Unity cares to display and has definitely been built upon hours of frustration. Arun held the most crucial task in the team with creating the motions for our player to move smoothly around the level and combining all aspects of the game together. Combinng all designed Levels together, writing complex scripts to detect changing game states to call the correct action in the game, and incorporating Kiana's GUI scripts into the main scripts in order to create a well packaged game are all tasks Arun has accomplished with flying colors!
Arun has been hard at work the entire day fixing the technical difficulties in our game and making sure that all the objects in all levels are functioning properly and according to their scripts. With the audio controlling script done, Arun's last task was to incorporate the audio script into the main script to allow audio playback once tutorial or text showed up. AND IT WORKED. Although some problems remained, it has brought us a half step from a completely finished and pretty awesome game.
-Jenny, the J of JAVAK :D